Sunday, May 16, 2010

Milk and Asthma

About a year a a half ago Andrew was diagnosed with Asthma. He was having attack after attack and doing so many treatments. He got used to having to wear a mask for his treatments and taking Singular every night. Well we found out in February that he has an allergy to Milk/Dairy. So sense then we have eliminated everything dairy; milk, cheese, yogurt, cookies, pudding, EVERYTHING that poor boy loved. He luckily has done amazingly well with it. He know what he can and can't have. He drinks the Soy, Almond, and Rice milk without any complaints, he calls it his special blue milk (because all the containers are blue). Even if he sees something on the table or something on someones plate with dairy, he will quickly say, "I can't eat it, it make me sick". He is such a smart little boy. Well, since we eliminated dairy we haven't had to do a single asthma related breathing treatment since. I totally believe the allergy was behind all the problems, treatments, and antibiotic after antibiotic that poor boy went through. I have done some further research on it and there are TONS of articles how dairy allergies can worsen Asthma and be the underlying problem. Here is one of the articles I found   Asthma explained by common allergy to milk and dairy products

I am mostly posting this for my mother in law because we were talking about it, so I wanted to post it so she could read the article too. But I do hope his asthma continues to lessen the further into the dairy free diet he is living.

2 comments:

Skylette said...

Hey, THERE'S your blog! I didn't know you had changed your address. That is awesome you guys were able to get to the root of the problem. I hope it's all up from here.

The Crazy Lady said...

Thank You!!! Ryker has asthma and a milk sensitivity - he gets really bad constipation, followed by bad diarrhea, when he has milk, but only milk, and we still give him cheese and other dairy products. I'm going to have to look into this for him!