Friday, January 16, 2009

One More Surgery

On Tuesday January 13th Andrew had an appointment with an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor. In my opinion, the best ever. Dr. Capener. We made him an appointment because he has been drooling non stop for over a year, hasn't eaten very well, is always sick, and his neck looked really puffy. So Zoey and I took him Tuesday afternoon. The doctor took one look inside and said "I can take them out tomorrow", my jaw dropped to the floor! I was so surprised that his tonsils were truly that bad and that he could do it so soon! He said his tonsils were so swollen they were touching and there was zero space between them. So we set the appointment for the surgery to take place Wednesday the 14th. We had to be there at 6:15 Wed. morning to get signed in and prepped. He was totally fine all morning. He didn't know what was going on. He just sat on the bed with me playing with his trains. When it got closer to his turn ( the doc had already completed 3 of the same surgeries by 8 that morning) they gave him what we called happy juice. He wanted juice so bad that morning but since he couldn't have any I felt so bad saying no to him or redirecting his attention somewhere else. So they gave me the tube of "happy juice" and he took it so well. He said "mmmm juice, more please" How sad, :(. Well within about 10 minutes, his body was getting heavier in my arms and he couldn't keep his head up. He would try to lift it up and it would fall to the right or left. It was so cute. The doctor came in to get him with a little red wagon and wheeled him away. That was the hardest part for me. Seeing him go, and I not being able to be with him. It didn't help that he cried for me on his way out. We waited only about 25 minutes before our little pager went off to go talk to the doc after he was done. So we went and met with the doc. He said his tonsils were so swollen they were stuck to his uvula. He had to scrape them apart to get started on removing his tonsils. I felt so bad we didn't get him into the Dr. sooner. We went back into the waiting room while we waited for him to wake up. Only about 10-15 minutes later our pager went off again to go see him. He looked so sweet and peaceful laying on the bed. He was hooked up to an oxygen monitor to track his oxygen levels and an iv was put in his foot. It wasn't very long before we were sent to his room. We were in room 19 at Mt. View Hospital. Only a couple hours past and he was asking for juice and food. We had some nutrigrain bars sitting on the table and he asked for one of those. And since they are soft and mushy they let him have one. He ate like 3 of those and had a bunch of apple juice and sprite. He was such a trooper. He had to stay the night to be monitored since he is under 3 yrs old. Drew stayed the night up there so I could take care of Zoey. He did pretty good through the night. Drew had to keep changing Andrew's position because his oxygen level was dropping but all in all he did well. Zoey and I went up there in the morning and while Andrew was eating his breakfast she told us we could go as soon as he was done eating. So around 9:30 we got all the things cleaned up and his iv out. We were on our way home. He is doing just as good at home. He is eating soft foods and drinking lots of blue Kool-Aid. He is such a strength to me. He has been through a lot and is still smiling and joking around every chance he gets. I'm so thankful for priesthood blessings and for the comfort they give.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Wow, I didn't know you could get tonsils out so young. I know what you mean when you can't do anything for them when they are crying for you. Jacob had pneumonia when he was 16 months and was in the hospital for 5 days. I felt so helpless.